Wat ge zegt, da's ni slecht!
patient Irwin

Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    BabbeL // CHILL OUT
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
DMT

BerichtGeplaatst: 24-04-2018 09:59:16    Onderwerp: patient Irwin Reageren met citaat
BEIJING, Aug. 12 (Xinhua) -- The career choice of Chen Ze'en, 26, not only changed his life but also those of residents in a remote village in one of the poorest parts of China.

Chen has been keeping bees at a small village in northwest China's Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region for around a year.

This summer, his bee population has increased to about 200 hives. He expects to harvest two tonnes of honey and sell it for 300,000 yuan (about 45,000 U.S. dollars).

The village has a local species of bee that produces sweet, pure honey. But without proper technology and investment, the business was barely viable. Chen brought new beekeeping techniques and a modern business model that villagers found "a bit strange but smart."

"The village has a very good natural environment, free of any industrial pollution. I am trying to highlight the clean and organic nature of our product," Chen said. He is now registering a company and brand.

"I am also thinking of developing new honey products, for instance, honey wine," he said.

Chen's apiary has inspired villagers and he does not hesitate to share his knowledge. About 100 people now profit from the beekeeping business.

Having set the 2020 goal of raising the annual incomes of about 55 million people over 2,800 yuan (430 U.S. dollars), China values young people like Chen and has high expectations of what they can bring to remote villages.

For around a decade, college graduates have been hired to work as village officials on a large scale. These young officials are now a force to mobilize rural people themselves in the fight against poverty.

In southwest China's Sichuan Province, a government program supports young officials' startup projects, including growing local specialties and selling farm produce online.

South China's Guangdong Province has focused on encouraging local young people to stay at home instead of moving to the cities. Agricultural technicians are invited to teach them the latest farming skills and financial assistance is given to new businesses.

A more traditional way for young people to engage in poverty alleviation is for college students to volunteer to teach in rural schools for a few years.

Li Xingjian attended Beijing's Renmin University and taught at a rural middle school in Sichuan in 2014 when he was still a graduate student.

Many of Li's charges were "left-behind children," living with relatives, often their grandparents, while their parents work in cities. Among several hundred students, only a dozen or so went to college each year and usually to small colleges with inadequate teaching resources.

"Compared with what I taught them, simply my being there was more helpful. I felt like a window through which they got a glimpse of an unknown outside world," he said.

Besides learning new ideas from him, Li's students found someone they could look up to. "One of my students wrote me an 18-page letter, telling me that I was the first person to praise him and give him a present in his 17 years of life. He said I gave him hope," Li said.

Although these programs aim to help needy people in rural areas, those who offer help benefit as well. Many volunteers were inspired by their experiences when choosing their careers.

Since 2012, Renmin University has sent about 1,000 students to villages in less-developed regions for a short program every summer. Lu Xiaotong,from central China's Hunan Province, took part twice.

"Before visiting the village in my home province, I thought that I knew rural China quite well," she said. Instead, the grinding poverty shocked her and she witnessed how one simple project, such as building a paved road, could change the lives of everyone.

"The experience gave me a sense of responsibility and motivation. I found myself pondering what I could do to actually help," Lu said.

International Youth Day, which fell on Friday, was themed "The Road to 2030: Eradicating Poverty and Achieving Sustainable Consumption and Production."

In his message to the occasion, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon wrote,"Let us empower young people with the resources, backing and space they need to create lasting change in our world."

Aortic valve surgery patient Irwin Weiner poses for a photo Authentic Sean Harlow Jersey , Friday, Dec. 11, 2015, at his home in Boca Raton, Fla. Very old age is no longer an automatic barrier for aggressive therapies, from cancer care, to major heart procedures, joint replacements and even organ transplants. (AP PhotoAlan Diaz) Aortic valve surgery patient Irwin Weiner poses for a photo, Friday, Dec. 11, 2015, at his home in Boca Raton, Fla. Very old age is no longer an automatic barrier for aggressive therapies, from cancer care, to major heart procedures, joint replacements and even organ transplants. (AP PhotoAlan Diaz) Aortic valve surgery patient Irwin Weiner poses for a photo with his partner, Lauree Gable, Friday, Dec. 11, 2015, at their home in Boca Raton, Fla. Very old age is no longer an automatic barrier for aggressive therapies, from cancer care, to major heart procedures, joint replacements and even organ transplants. (AP PhotoAlan Diaz) Aortic valve surgery patient Irwin Weiner poses for a photo, Friday, Dec. 11, 2015, at his home in Boca Raton, Fla. Very old age is no longer an automatic barrier for aggressive therapies, from cancer care, to major heart procedures, joint replacements and even organ transplants. (AP PhotoAlan Diaz)

CHICAGO — Irwin Weiner felt so good after heart surgery a few weeks before turning 90 that he stopped for a pastrami sandwich on the way home from the hospital. Dorothy Lipkin danced after getting a new hip at age 91. And at 94, William Gandin drives himself to the hospital for cancer treatments.

Jimmy Carter isn't the only nonagenarian to withstand rigorous medica.
Terug naar boven
Profiel bekijken Stuur privébericht
Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    BabbeL // CHILL OUT Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: